“Arrowood”- Catching up with Accelerate’s Beantown Throwdown Team

Earlier this month, during Boston Hubweek’s Beantown Throwdown, a dozen start-up teams from local universities pitched their ideas, with their eyes on claiming their share of $25,000 in prizes. The Wentworth team, a duo of Ethan Arrowood and Sophia Seltenreich, pitched their company Arrowood, a cloud based registration and data management software and received a great response from the crowd. I caught up with Ethan after the event to gain insight into his experience and takeaways.

Fega: Hi Ethan, so for the benefit of our audience that haven’t heard of Arrowood, what is Arrowood?

Ethan: Arrowood is a cloud-based, dynamic, web application that targets summer camps but can be scaled to any other small business organization. Arrowood aims to streamline the process of registration and managing summer camps by providing a bespoke solution that caters to the needs of both the camp and participants alike. I believe the industry to be as large as $18 billion and Arrowood is in a good position to capture a significant chunk of this market.

Fega: That’s great to know, so what was your motivation for starting Arrowood?

Ethan: My motivation stems from first hand experience of the challenges faced in trying to register for summer camp programs. I speak from both sides of the equation having participated in camps and recently managing one this last summer. The current process involves a lot of paperwork which often gets lost in transit from one party to another. This makes the process very long and tiring for the parents and the camp organizers.

Fega: Pitching at the Beantown Throwdown, what was that like?

Ethan: It was a great experience, this being my first time in front of a crowd that size and having to sell my idea. I gained a lot from this experience in terms of managing my allocated time as well as answering questions on the spot from the judges. Speaking to the organizers after the event, I was told I ranked 4th out of 12 teams and even higher than MBA students from Harvard and MIT.

Fega: So what’s the vision for Arrowood going forward?

Ethan: I am currently working on the beta version for the Accelerate pitch round event on November 17th. I am utilizing the services of the computer science society on campus as a first hand user feedback service for the application. I am aiming for Summer 2018 as the launch date for the service. Currently I am juggling developing the app while Sophia is working on marketing and researching potential clients. Also looking for a partner developer with experience with JavaScript. If you know of any kindly direct them my way.

You can follow Ethan and the progress of Arrowood via Twitter- @arrowood_io.

Skip to toolbar