Winter Athletics Roundup: Men’s Volleyball

Wentworth’s Men’s Volleyball has had a great season thus far with an impressive 10-2 record.  Hear from two freshman players Jon Roat (pictured right) a Biomedical Engineering student from Rochester, New York and Sean Mullen, (pictured left) a Mechanical Engineering, student from Longwood, Florida about their hopes for the 2015 season.

Sean Mullen

Sean Mullen

Jon Roat

Jon Roat

What is the best part about being a student-athlete at Wentworth?

Roat: So far, it’s been the group of guys I’ve met on the volleyball team. We are from all over the country. My roommate is a volleyball player as well.

Mullen: We’re going to compete for a conference championship this year. Add that to the location and atmosphere of Boston and this is a great place for me.

What are you most excited for in the upcoming season?

Mullen: I want to make it to the NCAA tournament. I hope I can help make that happen.

Roat: [To have a] chance to play against many of my former high school and club volleyball teammates [at the collegiate level].

What advice do you have for prospective students thinking of participating in athletics at Wentworth?

Roat: I considered going to another school solely for academics, I’m glad I didn’t. Some people quit sports because they think they can’t manage both at the college level. It’s definitely doable, you just have to be focused.

Mullen: I think the better question is—Why wouldn’t you? If you have the opportunity don’t waste it.

What has been your favorite Wentworth athletics moment thus far?

Roat: Our first day of practice was so exciting. Coach Giglio had been recruiting me to come to Wentworth for two years, so to finally make it official was great.

Mullen: So far, our team lifts and practice have been really productive. I think we have so much potential.

Coach Giglio: We’re coming off the best season in school history with a record of 27-8 and our first ever ECAC championship. Our goal is to be an NCAA tournament team but we have a tough conference with perennial powerhouse Rivier and our neighbor Emmanuel both posing stiff competition. While we graduated some of the best players in program history, we have a tremendous group of young and talented players ready to elevate the program to the next level.

The team’s Valentine’s Day match up against Hunter at Springfield College is sure to be action packed.  If their season continues on its current trajectory, the ECAC championship is a definite for this group of dedicated and talented young men.  We wish them continued success in the 2015 season.