New Counselor: Rob Sliney

Rob Sliney – Admissions Counselor, Worcester/Hampshire/Franklin County MA, PA, NJ, PNW

Sign from The Office in Scranton, PA

Where are you from?
Boston, MA

What’s your favorite spot on campus?
The Quad at Beatty Hall is my favorite spot on campus. There is always something going on, from barbeques to club events to ladder toss – not to mention hammocks in the summer!

What hobby do you wish you had more time for?
I love to play guitar; the only downside to admissions travel is that I cannot bring my gear with me! Luckily, the Fenway neighborhood has lots of great music venues and jazz clubs, so I’m easily able to find a show when I find myself with a free evening.

What did you study in college?
Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Economics at Fordham University (NY).

What’s your favorite off-campus hangout?
Where else but Fenway Park!? At Wentworth we are offered deals on tickets from The Boston Red Sox throughout the season, so it’s always great to take advantage of an opportunity to see World Series class baseball. This neighborhood was electric this past October!

Where were some of your favorite spots to visit while traveling in your territory?

While in Pennsylvania, I was able to take a tour of the CF Martin Guitar Company manufacturing plant in Nazareth. For a guitar player, this was an incredible thrill! It was a real treat to witness master woodworkers build their craft into a product I am so familiar with.

In New Jersey, The Delaware Water Gap was one of the more scenic drives I have ever undertaken. Apart from the beautiful scenery, it was interesting to notice the bridges and other civil engineering projects involved in managing the area.

Washington State may be the most beautiful area of the country that I have ever visited! Apart from the beautiful cascades and eastern desert, I was able to spend a day in Olympic National Park – which is now my most favorite place in the world!

Hurricane Ridge at Olympic National Park

What is your favorite place to eat off-campus?
Wings Over Boston, just three blocks from campus on Huntington Avenue.

What’s the best concert you’ve seen in Boston?
Tie between Paul McCartney at Fenway Park and Neil Young at The Wang Theatre.

If you weren’t an admissions counselor, what would you be?
History / Economics Teacher, Diplomat

What’s the best advice you ever been given?
“It’s not about what it is, it’s about what it can become.” – Dr. Suess