New Admissions Staff: Loretta Stephens-Smith

My name is Loretta Stephens-Smith and I’m one of the Admissions’ Assistants, in the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. In 2017, I left for a year and half to pursue a different career path but never felt the enjoyment and pleasure I get working in Higher Education. So, Wentworth welcomed me back in August of 2018.

I was born and raised in Boston, MA. Attended college and graduated right across the street with a Bachelors’ of Science in Behavioral Neuroscience from Northeastern University. I loved being a college student in Boston. Late night food runs to Boston House of Pizza, dodging the T on Huntington Avenue, early morning Biology labs and late nights in the library.

As an Admissions Assistant, I get to view college culture from a different angle, and more mature lens. Wentworth, being a smaller school, it’s easier remembering faces of students as I walk through the quad or have lunch in Beatty. I can see myself in them as they trek to their 8 a.m. classes which I always hated, or get stressed out during finals. I get to know staff all around the University, from the Vice Presidents to the adjunct professors. Wentworth is its own small community in such a large city.

I missed that when I left, I missed being part of this community. One of my favorite times of the year at Wentworth comes at the end of summer during Wentworth Opening Week (WOW). The campus comes alive with the arrival of the new freshman class. All staff members’ help with move-in and housing registration, upperclassmen help with running seminars and orientations. All to help with the transition of these students, some of whom are leaving home for the first time. It is always a great week to end the summer.

Returning to Wentworth, reignites my passion for education, and inspires me to continue my own, as I hope to start working on my Masters’ in Higher Education, and continue growing professionally here at Wentworth Institute of Technology.