Mechanical Engineering Co-op at Fitzemeyer and Tocci Associates

Erica Norquist – Mechanical Engineering ’19

Here at Wentworth, part of our curriculum is to spend two semesters on co-op, which is a paid internship where you work full-time in your field of study for around 14-16 weeks. I’ve spent my two semesters at Fitzemeyer and Tocci Associates (F&T), a a leading engineering firm for health science institutions in Woburn, MA.

Each day, after I arrive at work, we have a team meeting where we discuss what we’ll each be working on this week, and who needs help with projects. Mainly, my work involves assisting engineers in tasks to design HVAC systems for healthcare and educational facilities. These tasks include drafting, doing building load calculations, laying out and scheduling HVAC equipment, and coordinating with the other trades in the firm (Plumbing, Fire Protection, and Electrical).

I truly enjoy working and collaborating with my project team. They always give me different tasks to do, challenge me and are always willing to answer my questions or teach me new things. F&T has given me a great opportunity to learn so much about the industry, while working alongside some extremely talented engineers who have been mentors to me. It’s really cool to see our projects go from concept, to design, to construction, and it’s exciting to drive by a building and think, “Wow, I helped work on that!”.

Another cool aspect about co-op is that I had the opportunity to get to know my co-workers through some super fun outings and volunteer work. In the two semesters I’ve been there, we’ve worked for Re-Build Boston, toured a brewery and gone on a company ski trip just to name a few! I’m not just a co-op, I’m a part of the F&T family.

This is the best opportunity that Wentworth has given me thus far because I know that I’m getting valuable experience for my post grad career and having fun while doing it! I feel like a valued member of the team, and have fallen in love with engineering all over again.