Reflecting on my First Year at Wentworth

Sarah Kaczynski, Computer Science, Freshman

Last year, I was a prospective student attending Wentworth’s Accepted Students Day and participating in their Shadow Program. At that time, I was asking myself, “would I be making the right decision by choosing to go to Wentworth?” The experiences that I had during those two times on campus were encouraging; they seemed to confirm that Wentworth was the right fit for me, but it is important to note that I definitely had many doubts. Deciding where to go to college was a big and scary choice, but I felt fairly confident in choosing Wentworth. Now, I am approaching the final weeks of my freshman year. And in the stress that comes with exams, homework, finals, and final projects, I have found myself asking the same question, but in a different tense: “Did I make the right decision by choosing to go to Wentworth?”

Being a host to shadow students and an active member of a few clubs on campus has made me realize that the answer to the previous question is “yes.” Showing students around campus and talking about all the exciting opportunities that they can have here has opened my eyes to all of the opportunities I would not have had if I went elsewhere to study. If I didn’t go to Wentworth, I would not have met some of my best friends, been able to volunteer with some awesome organizations, or gotten to simultaneously dive deeper into my various hobbies.

By telling others what is so great about Wentworth and encouraging them to come here if they can see themselves happy and thriving here, I have rediscovered why I came here in the first place. It was not particularly easy to see if I was making the right choice a year ago, but as the old adage goes: hindsight is 20/20.