A New Environment

women's soccer group photo

Marissa Nelson, Senior, Architecture, Women’s Soccer, Women’s Lacrosse

As the summer comes to an end, we start to pack up our belongings and head out to school. Whether it’s your first semester or you last, it’s always exciting and nerve racking going back to school. Even as a senior, I still get excited about the next semester to come!

New schools can be scary as an incoming student, especially when you are not familiar with your surroundings. It is important to get out of your shell and try new things. I remember being that scared freshman who tried to go unnoticed in the ice breaker games during WOW week. Looking back, I can’t even picture myself doing that now. Whether it is making that introduction to someone in your class or taking that ride on the T to a new place in Boston, be willing to try new things on campus and in the city. Don’t shy away just because you are nervous to introduce yourself, push past your comfort zone!

When it comes to being a new student on campus, don’t worry because there’s about 1,000 more students just like you. Everyone is in the same boat and starts off on the same playing field. Be willing to meet people and introduce yourself, even though it can seem intimidating. I’ve met some of my best friends by starting a simple conversation, as little as commenting on their shirt. As you walk through Wentworth Opening Week (WOW) and classes during your first week, I challenge you to meet someone new or start a conversation with a new person. Conversation starters go a long way, and get people talking. Fine those who share a similar interest!

Joining clubs and participating in events allows you to meet people who share the same interests and ambitions. After joining sports and clubs on campus, I have been able to find some of my closest friends, most of them being outside my major. One regret a lot of people have is waiting to join clubs and branch out of friends groups, don’t make the same mistake!