Thinking About Transferring to Wentworth? Tips From the Admissions Office!

Andrew deMelo, Assistant Director of Admissions

Not every college student has what some would call a “traditional” educational experience.  Recent federal government data has shown that the 4-year graduation rate for students attending private colleges is only 52.8%, while the 4-year graduation rate for public colleges is a mere 33.3%!  Furthermore, the Princeton Review found that approximately one-third of students will transfer to a different institution at least once before earning their degree.

My name is Andrew deMelo, Assistant Director of Admissions at Wentworth Institute of Technology, and I, myself, had a somewhat unique experience in college:  I spent three years studying Psychology before pulling a complete 180, switching my major to History, and eventually graduating in 5+ years!  (I had to take two courses in the summer following my fifth year, to complete my degree)  I can recall feeling very disappointed that I would not be graduating “on time”, until I took a look around at the other people in my life and noticed that while some of them adhered to the “traditional” path, a lot of them were in situations just like me.  I think it is crucial for students to keep in mind that the most important result of any college experience is that you learn about what interests you and grow as a person.  For many, that is a goal that takes a few more steps to reach than others, and this is especially the case for transfer students.  Hopefully, in this post, we can address some questions and concerns you may have about the process of transferring into Wentworth Institute of Technology.

What should I submit?

Every college is different, when it comes to what you need to submit as part of your transfer application.  For Wentworth, this is what we will look for:

Transfer Application Requirements

• The application form and $50 application fee
  • Personal statement or essay (if completing the Common App, simply complete one of their essay prompts)
  • Recommendation (from a professor or other professional familiar with your academic abilities)
  • Final official high school transcript
  • Official college transcripts from all other institutions of higher learning you have attended. (photocopies and faxes are not considered official)
  • A completed Transfer Report
  • SAT/ACT Scores – OPTIONAL
  • Students planning to major in Industrial or Interior Design who have taken similar coursework at other institutions must submit a portfolio of their work for review by the Department of Design and Facilities for consideration of transfer credit. Students should contact the department directly to schedule the review. Students majoring in Architecture must complete all architectural courses at Wentworth.
  • Please take a look at our Transfer Credit Guide for more information of how your credits may transfer to Wentworth from another institution.

Wentworth practices rolling admissions, which means we review each application as soon as we receive all required documents. On average, it takes about 3-5 weeks to get a decision back to the student, once we have received all the application materials.

Additional Requirements for International Transfer Student

• Wentworth Institute of Technology requires that applicants with coursework or degrees from a non-U.S. university have their transcript evaluated for potential transfer credit. Students must obtain a professional transcript evaluation from one of the following companies:

Type of transcript evaluation report students should order: Course-by-Course Report

Still have questions? Feel free to contact Andrew deMelo at 617-989-4598 or demeloa@wit.edu and he will be more than happy to assist you with anything. For questions regarding international transfers, please reach out to Pan Luo at 617-989-4024 or luop@wit.edu.

When can I apply?

The priority deadline for spring applicants is December 1 and fall applications is December 15. After this date, some programs may be closed to further applications, so we encourage you to apply early.

Where can I find more information?

Your admissions counselor is a good place to start, feel free to reach out to me, Andrew deMelo, either at 617-989-4598 or demeloa@wit.edu for questions to start. We also recommend visiting campus and seeing it for yourself! We have a variety of visit options to choose from. Lastly, you can experience Wentworth’s campus for yourself with our Virtual Tour. You can see the entire campus on your computer, tablet, phone or VR headset.

Why should I transfer?

College transfers happen a variety of reasons and your experience should be a transformative experience that allows you to accomplish your academic and personal aspirations. It is understandable to have concerns about transferring. However, we are here for you with any questions that you may have about our programs, application requirements, transfer credit, scholarships, campus life and more.

If you have questions that you’d like to get answered in-person, we have some options!

• Schedule a Transfer Tuesday appointment: Transfer Tuesdays is a weekly event on Tuesdays up until December 17, 2019, specifically tailored to full-time transfer applicants.  This weekly event allows you to make a 30-minute appointment to meet with representatives from Wentworth’s Admissions, Financial Aid, and Registrar’s Offices to have any and all questions answered regarding the application and enrollment process.
  • Attend our Transfer Open House on November 14th: Transfer Open House is the best opportunity to get your questions answered about Wentworth, the transfer process, and our academic offerings. We also recommend bringing copies of your transcripts as Wentworth’s Transfer Credit Coordinator will be on-site to discuss transfer credits. The event takes place Thursday, November 14, 2019 from 5:00 – 7:30 p.m.

How to Apply?

Click here to get your application started! If you are already an applicant and would like to request a viewbook or additional information, please e-mail admissions@wit.edu. You can also check out our digital viewbook at wit.edu/viewbook as well.

Transferring can be a tough, scary process, but at Wentworth, we do everything we can to make the transition as seamless as possible.  As always, if you ever have questions or concerns about the transfer process, send me an e-mail, give me a call, or drop by the office!