Color and Composition

For Color and Composition class we refined our understanding of hue (color), value, and saturation. We started off the semester with painting a set of two seven-stage value scales from black to white, followed by 13-stage value scales for all three primary colors as well. Both of these projects were rendered out of painted Bristol mounted on illustration board. Next, we investigated patterns and other compositional elements by coming up with and finally painting them on illustration board. The latter half of the semester was spent cutting and mounting pre-painted color aid paper on illustration board to express the concepts we were learning. In this portion, we did the below projects to illustrate our understanding of implied transparencies through color choice while still utilizing the negative space effectively. A set of two of these took me 30 hours of work to render, but it was so satisfying to have this to show for it. If I had to choose one project I was the proudest of for this semester, I would, without hesitation, pick this one.

Screen Shot 2016-12-13 at 4.17.48 PM