Studio Eames Animal

The second Studio project this semester was to adapt an animal to emulate the aesthetic of the famous Eames elephant from Charles and Ray Eames. The main goal of this project was to develop an understanding of plastic forming and to hone our ability to abstract forms. The prompt was to design a simple animal to be made out of laser cut and bent acrylic with simple rivets to hold a minimum of two and a maximum of four pieces together. Being assigned a whale I started by cutting draft models out of bristol paper and experimenting with how I could bend and attach the model. Eventually, I came up with a design where the belly was one piece and the body and fins were an upper portion. This lower portion was attached to the tail and eye area. Through iterating in plastic I figured out I could also attach the bell portion in a way where the rivet also represented the blowhole and I didn’t need a fastener in the rail region if I bent the sides of the tail region in to trap the tapering end of that part. This helped to really simplify my design and make it more pleasing to view. Overall I am very happy with my result as I think I was able to find a good balance between detail and abstraction.