When alumni describe their time at Wentworth, there is a common theme. They say their lives and careers have been tremendously influenced by an incredible group of faculty and staff. Here are a few of those influential people who have given their knowledge and served as mentors.

“It was my second semester teaching here. I walked into my first class and saw 24 males and one female student. I thought to myself, another class full of boys. Rather than feel outnumbered and intimidated, this female student felt empowered by her unique position. Hearing her perspective made me realize how special it is to be a woman in this field and motivated me to devote my time to educating young women about their opportunities.” -Associate Professor Durga Suresh

“One of my biggest pleasures and accomplishments has been working with and advising students. I am fortunate to have the distinct honor of reading students’ names as they cross the stage at graduation. As I shake their hand, I often remember interactions I’ve had with them. It is so rewarding to see a student who may have been having academic difficulty cross the stage and receive their degrees from the president.” -Alan Whittemore, institutional researcher.

“The biggest challenge is keeping up with technology. When I first got here, people were concerned about students using calculators on tests, and there was debate about whether they should do their approximations by hand calculations or a calculator. Before long we were allowing students to have computers. Sometimes challenges seem negative, but challenges are good. It’s one of the best parts of the job.” –Associate Professor Peter Rourke, Department of Electronics and Mechanical

“At one point, I thought I was tired of teaching so I told the class, ‘I think this is my last class.’ They hung around after the final exam and were milling around in the hall, and I couldn’t understand what they were doing. They all stopped me and actually talked me out of leaving teaching. It was really something.” -Wil Caissie, AM ’64, transfer credit coordinator

“When I started, they didn’t even have a women’s bathroom on the floor where my office was. The man I shared my office with would walk me to the men’s bathroom and stand guard so I didn’t have to walk three floors up or leave the building. I ended up marrying him.” -Professor Lois Ascher, Department of Humanities, Social Sciences, and Management

“When the co-op program was proposed, some people didn’t want to go in that direction. Now it is one of our biggest assets and leads to so many of our alumni getting jobs. Today change continues with the start of the architecture master’s program, other master’s programs being developed, and the addition of more engineering programs. Great things are happening.” -Professor and Interim Department Head Fred Driscoll, Department of Electronics and Mechanical