I firmly believe that everyone should be engaged with their community. As president, I have actively sought opportunities that help me serve the Institute and our constituents. Through participation on boards and committees, I am part of the decision-making process for important initiatives, including outreach programs, college access and success, and economic growth. I continue to educate myself on issues that impact our students, their educational experience, and their professional futures.

For example, the Massachusetts Workforce Investment Board (MWIB) ensures that workers have the skills they need to meet the job requirements of local businesses. The result is a more skilled workforce, more profits for businesses, and more successful communities. As a board member, I am aware of the areas in which education is most needed and can relay this key information to division and department heads.

My participation in Governor Deval Patrick’s Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) Advisory Council is a chance for me to increase awareness of the importance of STEM education and inspire others to enter these exciting fields. Speaking and membership opportunities—such as presenting at the Massachusetts Women’s Forum “Opening Doors for Women” event at the Statehouse in February, and membership with the IEEE Women in Engineering and Society of Women Engineers—have let me share the benefits of education in STEM fields to a broad audience of students, parents, and industry professionals.

Furthermore, as vice chair of the Executive Committee for the National Commission for Cooperative Education (NCCE), I stay in touch with educational and industry trends in co-op education. The insights I gain can be used to enhance Wentworth’s already renowned co-op program.

I encourage you, too, to be a champion of Wentworth. By sharing your Wentworth education with your community—through participation on boards and committees and volunteering—you set an example for future generations.

Zorica Pantic, EE, Ph.D.