Wentworth students studied traditional Chinese timber framing through drawing and models as it evolved from the Sung to the Ming Dynasties (approximately 960-1644CE). Their analysis project are based on the research and drawings of Liang Sicheng (1901-1972) and Lin Huiyin (1904-1955), who were members of the “First Generation” of Chinese Architectural historians, who established the discipline according to modern methods. It features the work of architecture students for ARCH 3850-01 Traditional Chinese Architecture, taught by Jennifer Lee Michaelszyn. The exhibit will be on view in the Guarracino Gallery from April 12-May 12 and is free and open to the public.
Learn more about the buildings in the PowerPoint presentation that accompanies the exhibit.
Take a look at the handout students created, which includes interactive maps and timelines.
Enjoy the Institute’s news story and see photos of the the building models. The opening reception was sponsored by the WIT Center for Diversity & Social Justice.
Read about the remarkable lives of Liang and Lin in the recent New York Times story.
Peruse library books that complement the exhibit:
- Chen, Congzhou, Hongxuan Pan, and Bingjie Lu. Chinese Houses: A Pictorial Tour of China’s Traditional Dwellings. Reader’s Digest Association, 2008.
- Dubrau, Christian and Arno Sighart Schmid. Contemporary Architecture in China: Buildings and Projects 2000-2020. DOM Publishers, 2010.
- Fairbank, Wilma. Liang and Lin: Partners in Exploring China’s Architectural Past. University of Pennsylvania Press, 1994.
- Heritage Architecture 001 (Quarterly). 2016/1, Beijing; Science Press, 2016.
- Ji, Cheng. The Craft of Gardens. Yale UP, 1988.
- Keswick, Maggie, Charles Jencks, and Alison Hardie. The Chinese Garden: History, Art, and Architecture. Harvard UP, 2003.
- Klayman, Alison and Ilan Isakov. Ai Weiwei. Never Sorry. MPI Media Group; Sundance Selects, 2012.
- Liang, Sicheng and Wilma Fairbank. 2005. Chinese Architecture: A Pictorial History. Dover Publications, 2005.
- ———. 1984. A Pictorial History of Chinese Architecture: A Study of the Development of its Structural System and the Evolution of its Types. MIT Press,1984.
- Mattie, Eric. The Colours of… Frank O. Gehry, Jean Nouvel, Wang Shu, BIG, Stefano Boeri, Zaha Hadid, Herzog & De Meuron, Steven Holl Architects, Toyo Ito, Lui Jiakun, Michael Malzan Architecture, Giancarlo Mazzanti, Enric Ruiz-Geli, Cloud 9, SANAA. Birkhäuser, 2015.
- Miner, Al and Laura Weinstein (Art museum curator). 2016. Megacities Asia. MFA Publications, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 2016.
- Shuyan, Sun, and Zhang Huizhen, eds. Chinese Architecture Today. Birkhäuser, 2016.
- Steinhardt, Nancy S., ed. Chinese Architecture. Yale UP, 2002.
- Wang, Shu. Imagining the House. Lars Müller Verlag, 2012.
- Yu, Zhuoyun, Zhiqiang Gao, and Chui Hu. Palaces of the Forbidden City. Viking Press, 1984.
Questions? Contact email@example.com