By Kate Tilas, BCET ’12, MSCE ’20

I originally chose Wentworth for my undergrad back in 2008 over other engineering schools for their hands-on experience, their innovative approaches to classroom learning and the community feel to the campus. I graduated with a Civil Engineering degree in 2012.

Back in 2017, I decided I was ready to pursue my master’s [degree]. My first choice was Wentworth. The quality of education Wentworth provided in my undergrad set me up for success in the real world, when competing in a state where they favored their in-state, recent grad engineers.

I loved the hybrid setup of the graduate courses. I was able to work full time while continuing my education. Had I not been afforded the opportunity to work while going to school, I would not have been able to get my degree.

One of the biggest draws was a night course from 6 to 9 p.m. I commuted Wednesdays from Maine to class and made it back in time to be at work Thursday morning. I did not need to relocate my career or put other aspects of my life on hold while getting an education.

The best experience of my time at Wentworth, hands down, was the professors. They were all very knowledgeable in their respected fields of civil engineering, provided thought-provoking materials and were dedicated to our success. The relationships I formed with my professors are lifelong.

If I had to go back and do it all over again, I would. The education provided to me is invaluable. It has helped me succeed within the workforce by providing me the knowledge of innovative ideas and technologies.

Kate Tilas is a civil engineer for Sevee & Maher Engineers, Inc., a multidisciplinary environmental and civil engineering consulting firm. Previously, she worked as a water resources engineer for the City of Portland, Maine.