On, Tuesday, February 23, 2016, students will be receiving an important email from me inviting them to complete the Student Satisfaction Inventory (SSI). The SSI provides the Institute with an opportunity to take the temperature, so to speak, of our student body to see what is most important to their college experience and, comparatively, how satisfied they are.
The questions are designed to measure a variety of aspects of the student experience, including Student Centeredness, Instructional Effectiveness, Registration Effectiveness, Concern for the Individual, Campus Support Services, and Safety and Security. Since 2012, we have asked our students to complete the SSI during the spring semester of every even year. 2016 marks the third rendition of this survey.
The success of this survey is dependent upon a high response rate. We are hoping that at least 25% of our student take the time to complete the survey.
These are the things I know:
- I know how busy our students are, especially this time of the year.
- I know that free time is a rare commodity and when it exists, napping and Netflix are priority.
- I know that hearing the voice and experience of our students is vital to the Institute’s commitment to a student-centered campus.
- I know the more information we have, the more we can do.
- I know our students want to provide the Institute with information help us keep doing those things that are working and improve those that aren’t.
- I know throwing in some monetary incentives will contribute to higher response rates, which is why those will be available! (see email for details)
- I know that the results of 2012 & 2014 helped informed important changes, including, but not limited to:
- Introduction of minors
- Design of the Apartments@525
- Expanded opportunities for study abroad
- Development of the Coop Institute
The survey opens tomorrow, Tuesday, February 23 and will remain active through Spring Break, closing on Friday, March 11 at 5:00 p.m. I am confident that during these three weeks, our students will be able to find a window of time to engage in this survey and provide honest and thorough answers.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Peter Fowler, Associate Dean of Students at firstname.lastname@example.org or me.
I eagerly await the results!