The many benefits of physical activity and exercise have been researched and promoted for a while. In our most recent #WITwants2know question, exactly half of our respondents indicated they participate in some physical activity or exercise at least three times per week.
Fitness promotes physical, mental, and emotional health. We recognize these benefits and know that exercise is a great resource for students, particularly as a stress reliever. This past summer, space on the fourth floor of Huntington Avenue was transformed into a group exercise room. Throughout the week, there are classes for yoga, zumba, kickboxing, pilates and bollyX. Pound classes take place in Tudbury Auditorium. To date, there have been over 600 participants in group exercise classes. Classes for each day are on the Schumann Fitness Center facebook page and twitter.
If a group exercise class isn’t for you, there are lots of other ways to incorporate physical activity into your day.
- Go for a walk or a run. Join us for a #WITDeans5K on the first Friday of every month. We leave from the front of the West Lot at 6:30am.
- Work out in the Schumann Fitness Center. We know there are times when it’s crowded in there, but there are also plenty of times throughout the day when there is plenty of room. If you’ve never been to the fitness center, ask the staff for an orientation to the space so you can see what’s available.
- Take the long way to class. And if you can, take the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Find a tutorial online for chair yoga. There must be one on YouTube.
- Ride your bike around the city. Just…be careful and wear a helmet.
- Plank for one minute each day. If you stop by our office, we’ll plank with you!
- Do 50 jumping jacks or skip across the QUAD.
- Need to work on a paper or a project? Try standing while working on your computer instead of sitting.
- Find a friend who will exercise with you. Or set up a steps challenge among your friends.
Including physical activity into your life doesn’t have to mean a one hour exercise class or cardio. Just get moving somehow, anyway! And remember to hydrate…
For more information on group classes and all things fitness related, click here to visit the Schumann Fitness Center website.