How to WORK the Career Fair – An approach for everyone, whether you are low-key or EXTRA!
Low Key Approach
|RESEARCH||• Find the list of employers attending on the “Jobs and Careers” App and research the ones of interest.
• See if they have positions posted so you can research more about the companies ahead of the fair.
|• Create a spreadsheet, categorizing employers into A, B, and C lists.
• Write down a few questions you might ask them at the fair. Refer to these questions before each conversation.
|RESUME||• Write, review, and edit your resume.
• Come to Drop-Ins to make sure it is ready for the Career Fair.
• Print out 10-20 copies and tuck them in a folder to hand out to employers.
|• Make an appointment with your Co-op + Career Advisor to go over your Resume.
• Print 10-20 copies and carry them in a professional padfolio.
• Make your own business cards.
|PLAN||• The plan is to go, shake hands, meet employers, ask good questions, and hand out resumes. Go with it!
|• Locate the employer booths on the Fairs App ahead of time and map out your route.
• Maybe talk to a couple employers on your C list to start before moving on to your first choices!
|DRESS||• Gather your professional attire.
• Visit WITwear to borrow any items you may need!
|• Iron, steam, fresh haircut! Look your best.
• Also…visit WITwear to borrow any items you need.
|PITCH||• Build a 30 second pitch and practice it in the mirror so you come across relaxed and professional.
• Practice a firm handshake.
|• Record yourself and critique yourself. Be mindful of eye contact, fidgets, and filler (“um, like”).
• Pitch with a friend and practice your handshakes.
|THANK YOU||• Shake employers’ hand and thank them for their time answering your questions and speaking to you.
• Collect business cards so you can write thank you notes the next day.
• If they requested your application electronically – email them to let them know you applied.
Check out ALL our helpful guides on resumes, networking, pitches, and more on our website: https://wit.edu/coopsandcareers/cooperative-education/co-op-resources
Download the new WITworks App: Symplicity Jobs and Careers App:
Special Co-ops and Careers Fair All Day Resume Drop-Ins: Thurs 3/14 & Fri 3/15
Weekly Drop-In Schedule: M, T, W from 1:30-4:30pm
Make an appointment with your Co-op + Career Advisor: call the front desk at (617) 989 4101
WITwear Hours: M, T, W 4 – 8pm, Th 5-8pm & F 10am – Noon